Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Dad and Baby






This weekend I was doing a photography shoot of a family.  The mom wanted shots of the baby's hands, feet, etc.  Some of the basic stuff.  Well, it pays to pay attention.  As the father was waiting in the wings while mom and I chatted, the perfect scene was set, the father laid down with the baby and guess what? The baby fell asleep on Dad's chest.  Good stuff!  So I set up two portable SB-800's on light stands behind shoot through umbrella's.  The lighting for the image was main light on 30 degree angle left of camera at my cameras correct F, and the fill was over my right shoulder, one stop under.  The original image is shown on top. Notice that I accidentally left my group C SB-800 flash on.  It is on the counter.  Post production work, besides the building of the counter on the left side, including building a photo of the baby to hang above the scene.

Don't be scared to think through a picture after you capture it.  I didn't know what I was going to do with the original picture of the father with the baby, but after we had it, we were able to talk about what we could do. The family loved this shot and are going to be using it as a gift for the mom's parents!

Specs: Nikon D200, 17-55 mm lens @ 17 mm, 1/60 sec, F/3.5, two SB-800s (main left, and fill at camera position)

Enjoy!  Hope this all helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment