Monday, September 29, 2008

Inspiration must start with you.

www.LanceBurnsPhotography.com

Hi all! Today I wanted to share with you something that might change the way you think...or at least pause for a brief moment. This summer I made a long trek across the North American continent. My travels took me to Minnisota, Kentucky, Ontario, northern Manitoba and Vancouver Island in British Columbia. During these trips I did my best to think about who has inspired my work and who I would like to meet. One of those people is Marc Hauser. His style and his work are amazing. I have watched many of his video productions and looked at his great website (www.marchauserphoto.com), but I really wanted to meet him in person. Something I had to plan before I went on my trek.

Now I had never talked with Marc, but I thought to myself "self, if you don't make contact you won't meet him." So, I sent an email to Marc through his site and he was pretty quick to respond. I was lucky enough to actually be going through the Chicago region and was LUCKY enough to spend 3 hours with this amazing photographer. As I look back on this now, I can't help but think how important my meeting Marc was. I was able to talk about photography with this great photographer and understand small things that make his work so powerful. We were hanging out in his studio...just the two of us...talking about his working with Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, John Mellancamp, and other just as interesting people. We talked about composition, image inspiration, photography shoot budgets and the need to reinvent yourself over and over.

The important point I would like you to take away from this post is that we all have something to share and learn. I took a chance and was given an opportunity that I will never have again in my life. I met one of my photography idols and his influence is gradually making its way into my work. Take a chance, make that phone call and maybe you will get the opportunity to expand your skills by meeting those you respect. They don't have to be 4 area codes over. They can be next door, or in the next town. Search them out. Meet them. Spend time with them learning and communicating. Funny thing, we all take inspiration from different things.

Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment